Sunday, December 5, 2010

Old Town!

Hi Class!!

Wow, what a busy time I have had!  We just keep going and going and going.

Last night for dinner we had tacos!  They were yummy.  Funny thing is that the taco shells they use here are not corn shells pre-shaped.  They are flour tortillas that they deep fry.  They tasted very good!  And with some avocado slices – YUM.

Well, on to my Adventures!

Ms. Dee took me to Old Town.  It is a very nice place.  Now it is a market place full of shops, but it used to be where the original Spanish Settlers lived when they first moved to Albuquerque. 
This is Isla, Kaidin (Isla’s nephew – yes Isla is an Aunt at 8 years old) and me in front of a Kiva fireplace.  A Kiva fireplace is an adobe style fireplace that is round.  In the Southwest, Kiva fireplaces are more popular.  Adobe is a natural building material made from sand, clay and water that are pressed into bricks and then let to dry.  Stucco is put around the Kiva fireplace and stucco is a cement type material with color.
This is us at the San Felipe Church in Old Town.  You can see the style of the building is a bit different than the ones you have in NJ.  Stucco is used on the low walls around as part of the architectural design. 
Cactus!!!  Ouch!!!  This is one of the many kinds of cactus there are in Albuquerque.  Cacti are abundant here.  This one is called an Agave, it originated from Mexico.  The one above my head is a ‘youngling’ and to the left is a full grown.
This is that whole garden, though it looks different than the gardens you see, it is pretty with the different color greens.  This big one is called a Prickly Pear, it sure is prickly but I don’t see any pears!
We stopped for a snack and I made some friends!
Here are a couple of musicians that perform in public places through out Albuquerque. 
They let me sing with them though I didn’t know the words…..

I hope you enjoyed the pictures!  You can probably guess that it is very different here than in NJ.  Especially since these 2 guys weren’t wearing coats in December!

I’ll share more about my visit to the Art Museum and some pictures of me helping with Hockey!

1 comment:

  1. WOW you have been very busy; you look like you are having a lot of fun! Keep the stories coming.

    ReplyDelete